Position Summary: The Staff Accountant I will ensure accurate record keeping of Health System fixed assets and property in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). This position requires the ability to manage strict deadlines, work independently and own one’s work product.
Specific duties include:
- Record fixed asset acquisitions and dispositions in the general ledger/fixed asset system on a monthly basis. Manage deadline for the recording of depreciation expense in the financial statements.
- Compile and track constructions costs on general ledger system and record to fixed asset system upon project completion. Ensure capitalization of fixed assets is in accordance with industry guidelines.
- Prepare monthly reconciliations of all property and fixed asset related accounts. Track capital expenditures in comparison to budget and management approval on a monthly basis.
- Compile capital expenditure listing for bond funding, as appropriate.
- Maintain Tidelands Health property listing and property insurance coverage.
- Prepare and maintain rental income & expense schedules based on Health System rental agreements. Prepare and post applicable journal entries to the general ledger.
- Invoice outside organizations for rents and miscellaneous services from the organization. Maintain other receivable reconciliations as appropriate and post journal entries to the general ledger as applicable.
- Assist with the monthly close process in accounts payable.
- Provide periodic financial information to Chief Financial Officer, VP of Finance/Business Analytics and Director of Accounting & Treasury in order to manage the day to day operations of the Health System. Assist with necessary day to day operations of the Finance department as applicable.
- Develop and implement accounting procedures and internal controls related to fixed assets by analyzing current procedures, identifying weaknesses and proposing potential solutions to the Director of Accounting & Treasury.
- Communicate with external financial statement auditors as applicable.
- Ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations and conduct business in an ethical and professional manner.
- Update and maintain job knowledge through educational opportunities, development of professional networks and participation in professional organizations.
- Contribute to departmental and organizational special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration required.
- A minimum of 2 years accounting experience required.
- Strong organizational skills required.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills required.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (including Word, Excel, Outlook & Powerpoint).
- Ability to work independently or in a team setting.
- Able to multitask and manage strict deadlines.
- Ability to apply critical thinking skills on a regular basis.
Physical Requirements: Light-Medium
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently (activity or condition exists from 1/3 to 2/3 of the time) required to stand, sit, and walk; frequently to use hands, fingers; and frequently to talk or hear. The employee must exert 15 to 20 pounds of force occasionally (activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of the time), and/or 5 to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or greater than negligible up to 5 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.